Justine and Isaiah Washington had been active since the 1930s in various areas of the CSRA. They both started off in education for decades and included work with civil rights, local history, politics and charity work. Justine was a Jeanes supervisor for over 20 years from 1934-1959 before she served as faculty at Paine College from 1961-1981. Ike served 38 years as principal of local elementary to high schools. Their services extended to the Richmond County Board of Education, the Augusta chapter of the American Red Cross, the Augusta City Council, the Augusta Richmond-County Planning Commission, Augusta-Richmond County Museum, the Salvation Army, the Senior Citizens Council and more local organizations. Ike had also served on the Augusta Black History Committee that brought about the first Black monument in Augusta with the dedication of the S.S. Johnson Plaza and Plaque on November 3, 1985. Then Augusta State University named Washington Hall after them as the first living people and the first Black educators to be so honored on May 28, 1997. Their last mutual award was the presentation of the inaugural Augusta Award to Justine and the late Isaiah Washington in December 2000.